I’m very excited about my first full time classroom ??? I’m teaching grade 1 next year. (Last year I worked in my classroom only part time; and the year before I worked only for two months at the end of the year.) So, as I prepare for the coming school year, I’m carefully creating a classroom environment that aligns with my educational philosophy.
- To reflect its community ??? including its students, teacher and families
- To represent a community of learners, rather than an aggregate of individuals; and in this way foster social learning and interactions
- To be truly for the students and teacher, with as few “hands off” spaces as possible
- To foster sharing, problem solving, including others, responsibility, independence and teamwork through its materials and space
- To be flexible enough to cater to changing project work, while consistently providing spaces for: reading; group discussions; individual work; exploration of materials; playing games; and using technology